Registering a death

All deaths must be registered in the area where it occurred, although it is possible to give the information in another area. The process of registering a death involves a short interview with a Registrar in a Registrars Office. The main registrars offices in Harrogate, Leeds and York are as follows:


Bilton House, 31 Park Parade, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 5AG
Telephone: 01609 780780


Leeds Town Hall, The Headrow, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 3AD
Telephone: 0113 222 4408


56 Bootham, York, North Yorkshire, YO30 7DA
Telephone: 01904 654 477

Consultations with registrars are by appointment only and you must produce the relevant information and documents to register a death. Personal information about the deceased required includes their full name and address, their date of birth, details of location and time of death, and their occupation if applicable. If the deceased is a married woman her maiden name is also required as well as her husband’s full name and occupation.

You will also need to produce the ‘certificate of cause of death’, more commonly known as the death certificate. The death certificate is given to you by a GP or hospital doctor.

In the event a coroner is involved, the issuing of a death certificate can be delayed. A coroner is involved when there is to be a post mortem examination or inquest into the death.

A death certificate will not be issued until the coroner has conducted the examination or inquest. This can take some time and can have an effect on the funeral plans.

Only certain people can register the death. These include any relative of the deceased, any person present at the death, any person who lives in the house where the person died, or any person arranging the funeral, other than the funeral director.

On completion of registering a death the registrar will issue you with two certificates. One of these is a white certificate to be filled out and given to the social security office in the area the person has died. The other certificate is green and should be given to HC Townsend & Son Funeral Directors as soon as possible.

If you want to register a death outside of the area where the death took place, you can make an appointment at your most convenient office.

If you choose to go to another office, they will provide the information to the relevant office and they will register the death and issue your documents. This is called ‘registering a death by declaration’.

If you register a death by declaration you’ll usually have to wait a few days for the paperwork needed for the funeral and any death certificates you want.

Please contact us to find out more about this service or to book an appointment. Alternately, you can find the contact details of the local register office on GOV.UK